An incident is something that involves one or more of the following:
- Personal injury to anyone (including other park users)
- Near misses with the potential to cause serious injury
- Property damage
- Ill health and sickness
- Conflict or complaints
- Safeguarding concerns
- Something happening which could damage the reputation of parkrun
In the event of an incident at an event, the details should be recorded and reported via WebFMS. During results-processing, the volunteer will be asked whether or not any incidents have occurred at the event that day. If they have then they will be required to add further details.
In order to maximise the number of incidents we hear about, we make this process as simple and straightforward as possible and will request further information if required. All newly-logged incidents are reviewed by operational staff every Monday.
Incident logs should include:
- Helpful title
- Time and date
- Names and parkrun IDs of those involved
- A brief description of the incident
- Any action taken or advice given
Further updates to individual incidents can be added to the system by parkrun HQ by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Critical Incident Protocol
We define a critical incident as a threat to life or immediate threat to the welfare of an individual. If volunteers experience a critical incident at a parkrun event, they should follow these steps:
- Prioritise supporting the incident itself, ensuring emergency services are called promptly if required.
- Ensure those involved are supported.
- Gather contact details for all involved in the incident.
- Contact the weekend support Critical Incident Line for your region (see below). This line can also be used to access a parkrunner’s ‘In Case of Emergency’ (ICE) details if they are logged on our system.
- Contact the event’s Event Director(s) if they weren’t in attendance.
- Contact the local Ambassador if possible.
- Log the incident via WebFMS.
- Do not post on social media or your news page until given permission by parkrun HQ.
- Refer any media enquiries to parkrun HQ via support.parkrun.com
- The Event Director should inform the landowner about the incident as soon as possible.
- parkrun HQ will, in a pastoral capacity, offer support and advice to the Event Director (and the Run Director who was on duty at the time). In appropriate circumstances, we are able to offer counselling support to those involved from qualified third parties.
Critical Incident Line
- Australia +61 (0) 731 063 313
- Canada + 1 604 332 5564
- Denmark + 45 92 453 891
- Republic of Ireland +353 (0) 1691 7185
- Malaysia +60 (0) 162 991 772
- New Zealand +64 (0) 9886 9805
- Singapore +65 (0) 3138 6710
- South Africa/Namibia/Eswatini +27 (0) 87 550 4667
- USA +1 734 890-5371
- UK +44 (0) 20 3322 7275