Starting an event
The key to starting any parkrun is to find the right people to lead that event as local volunteers, to champion its benefits to their community and to slowly but surely build a strong volunteer team to deliver the event going forward. We will support those people and their team with help from parkrun staff, volunteer ambassadors and our well-established IT support system. However, it’s important to remember that each of our events must be driven by a core team of committed and passionate locally-based parkrun volunteers.
They must be ready for parkrun to change their lives! Starting an event is the most amazing journey.
Those interested in setting up a parkrun near them should submit their interest via www.parkrun.com/about/start-your-own-event/
Once you have filled in this form a member of parkrun staff will get back to you with further information.
The time it takes to set up a parkrun event can vary significantly, and depends on the specific challenges of the location. Typically it takes around three to six months from start to finish but can take many years. We never rush a team to get started and always wait for them to feel ready, properly trained and confident that they’re fully prepared.
All event names will be defined by parkrun HQ (early in the setup process) to ensure they are appropriate and fit within the global model.
The name for an event is based on the following criteria:
- Typically the name references the smallest identifiable, geographical area in which the event starts or takes place. i.e. the name of the park or open space.
- In the majority of cases, the location will be easily found using online mapping tools.
- Names known only to locals are not acceptable.
- Event names always take the form xxxx parkrun (parkrun xxxx in Poland).
- Junior events include the word ‘junior' before the word parkrun e.g. Bushy junior parkrun. Just like ‘p’ in parkrun it’s always a lowercase ‘j’ too.
- In cases where the appropriate event name is already in use, e.g. Bushy parkrun, a geographical clarifier will be added e.g. Bushy parkrun, Dublin.
- parkrun HQ will not be influenced by third parties such as organisations, companies or local authorities.
- parkrun HQ’s decision is final and any attempts to manipulate this protocol will be frowned upon.