Simple, Safe & Sustainable
As is most often the case, systems and processes work best at scale and over time if they are kept simple. At parkrun we, therefore, adopt a ‘keep it simple’ philosophy – we provide free, weekly timed 5k events on Saturdays and in some countries 2k junior events on Sundays – that’s it, nice and simple, nothing more and nothing less.
We understand that some event teams may wish to do extra things outside of this core function, with the intention of ‘improving’ the experience or increasing the enjoyment of participants. We ask them not to move away from our simple delivery model and encourage them to think about the potential impact on the workload of their core event team and volunteers, as well as the long-term sustainability of their event.
The safety of all participants is always our priority and we have therefore implemented a number of policies and procedures to ensure events are as safe as possible, including:
- Annually reviewed risk assessments for every event
- Public liability insurance for all events
- First aid kits at all events
- Event Automated External Defibrillator (AED) provision where possible
- Safeguarding guidelines and support
- Event-day course checks prior to every event
- Compulsory Tail Walker at all events
- Globally-managed recording and reviewing of all incidents
- Monthly volunteer update to all volunteers